Monday, May 25, 2020

In the Meantime - Still Winning

So much for an amazing 2020. I remember daydreaming about the year 2020 as a kid. As a life-long fan of sci-fi, I imagined flying cars and food replicators that would prevent starvation by now. Never did I imagine the entire world shutting down over a virus. I'm sure we all knew it was possible but felt invincible living in such modern times. Also never thought I'd be in Hunger-Games mode over toilet paper. Wow, 2020, you showed us! Dare I daydream about 2030?

Staying productive!

The pandemic has not deterred me from my writing goals. I've managed to maintain a consistent level of success. During this time of remote work and lockdown procedures, I have been busier than before the pandemic. As an academic advisor, I've been packing in a minimum of 12 hours a day, often more, just to stay afloat of our barrage of emails and student needs. As a freelance editor, I've been busy helping clients polish up resumes and cover letters. I'm also thrilled to be editing a book-length memoir.

Steady as she goes...

I continue to contribute to SMITH Magazine's Six Word Memoirs for which I was thrilled to participate in their first-ever Zoom meet-up with Larry Smith last week. My favorite and most-recent wins of late is becoming a volunteer staff editor with 101 Words, a flash fiction online publication. I've submitted work there before and love reading them. When I saw the call-out, I wasted no time in applying. Imagine my delight when I received the email that I was hired. It was almost like getting an acceptance letter ... but not quite.

Hard work pays off, even when it doesn't pay.

In this new role, I've had to learn new things like the Slack communication tool, Google docs, Wordpress, and the inner workings of Gmail. I've been learning more about fiction writing and study the styleguide frequently. I've written my very first rejection and acceptance letters, taking pride in my work, savoring the chance to help other writers. Volunteer, yes, but the value is beyond dollars.


No comments:

Post a Comment