Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Autism inspires next book

If there's one thing you should know about me, it's that I am an autism mom. My youngest son was diagnosed in 2002 when he was almost 4, pretty late in the game, but there's a reason for that. Autism resources were quite scarce all those years ago compared to now. I have had a thrilling journey with the autism life in the past decade, and I've learned a whole lot. What started off as an article about my journey in the autism world morphed into a book. Not surprising, considering I'm a writer working on a topic I'm most passionate about.

I'm about 30,000 words in and full speed ahead. I have experts contributing valuable knowledge to the book, plus I want to include stories of other autism families. In the beginning of my journey, I felt alone and lost. I'm sure I handled lots of things the wrong way and paid the price later on. We've tried all kinds of tactics and therapy, been through countless phases and sleepless scream-filled nights. I never had any support outside of immediate family until the last couple years when I started joining forums and making greater use of social media. I started networking with other families who had amazing stories, and I finally felt a camaraderie and  no longer felt alone. I can't tell you enough how much this has helped me.

In light of that, I decided to dedicate a chapter of my book to the stories of other autism families. I am looking for 400-word blurbs about their autism experience thus far, what's been the biggest challenge, and what has helped their child(ren) and them cope. The point of this chapter is to let other autism families who might be feeling what I felt at one time know that we're all in this together, and there is help out there, not to mention support from others in the same shoes.

If you or anyone you know would be willing to contribute a blurb and share a little about their story, please contact me. I'm accepting submissions this whole month! My email is Neesha@theSweetTalker.com, so send me a note anytime.

Thanks in advance for helping me spread awareness about autism.

No comments:

Post a Comment